Suzuki V-Strom 650/XT Oil Change Guide
If you are planning on changing the oil in your Suzuki V-Strom, we've got all of the information you need to get the job done. Below we've got instructions for your Suzuki V-Strom oil change, all of the service information you'll need, fun facts, and a video to walk you through your V-Strom oil change step-by-step.
For more help, we offer motorcycle oil change kits to give you everything you need for your oil change: 3 quarts of 10W-40 synthetic oil, an oil filter, a crush washer, a funnel, and an oil change reminder sticker.
HOW TO VIDEO
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 10W-40 engine oil
- Oil filter
- Crush washer
- 17mm wrench or socket and ratchet
- Drain pan
- 4mm Allen wrench or socket
- 67mm oil filter wrench (09915-40620)
- High-flash solvent (like brake cleaner, acetone, or paint thinner)
Oil Change Instructions
- Start the motorcycle and bring it up to operating temperature. This is best done by taking the bike for a quick ride.
- Situate the motorcycle so that it is vertical after warming up the engine.
- Gather your materials, including safety glasses and your rubber gloves.
- Remove the under cowling by removing the Allen screws on the left and right side.(XT models only)
- Place the oil pan beneath the engine.
- Remove the engine oil drain plug to drain the oil.
- Replace the drain bolt washer with a new one and tighten the drain bolt.
- Remove the oil filter with the oil filter wrench.
- Apply a thin coat of oil to the filter O-ring before filter installation.
- Pour in the specified amount of oil and check oil level.
- Clean any residual oil from motorcycle and replace the under cowling if removed.
- Start engine, check for leaks, add oil if necessary.
Get Everything You Need In One Box
A Factory Racing Parts Oil Change Kit comes with the oil, filter, crush washer, funnel, and oil change sticker you need to change the oil on your V-Strom.
- Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
- Capacity: 2.4L (2.5 qt) (When filter is not removed.)
- Capacity: 2.7L (2.9 qt) (When filter is removed.)
- Coolant Capacity: 0.5 gal.
- Oil change interval: 3,800 Miles
- Air Filter: 13780-27G10
- Battery: 33610-48E20
- Oil Filter: 16510-07J00
2007 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2008 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2010 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2011 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2013 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2014 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2015 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2016 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom 2017Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2018 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2019 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2020 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2021 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom Adventure
2013 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom Adventure
2014 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom Adventure
2015 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom
2016 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom
2017 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom
2018 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom
2019 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom
2020 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom
2021 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom
2015 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom Adventure
2016 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom Adventure
2017 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom Adventure
2018 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom Adventure
2019 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom Adventure
2020 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom Adventure
2021 Suzuki DL650XT V-Strom Adventure
DID YOU KNOW?
- The 1985 GSX-R 750 was considered the first "race-replica" with its street legal, detuned version of the works GS1000R racer. It was ultra light weight using magnesium parts along with a race style tachometer that didn't even register until 3000rpms.
- The oil holes of the GSX-R1000 crankshaft are inspected by the human eye using tiny precision cameras due to the extreme high-performance nature of the bikes. Engines in other Suzukis are checked by machine.