KAWASAKI VN1600 VULCAN OIL CHANGE GUIDE
If you are planning on changing the oil in your Kawasaki VN1600A/D/B Vulcan, we've got all of the information you need to get the job done. Below we've got instructions for your Kawasaki Vulcan Classic, Mean Streak, or Nomad oil change, all of the service information you'll need, fun facts, and a video to walk you through your Ninja oil change step-by-step.
For more help, we offer motorcycle oil change kits to give you everything you need for your oil change: 3 quarts of 10W-40 synthetic oil, an oil filter, a crush washer, a funnel, and an oil change reminder sticker. Check out the Factory Racing Parts Kawasaki Vulcan Oil Change Kit for your Vulcan VN1600.
HOW TO VIDEO
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 10W-40 engine oil
- Oil filter
- Crush washer
- 17mm wrench or socket and ratchet
- Drain pan
- 65mm oil filter wrench (57001-1249)
- High-flash solvent (like brake cleaner, acetone, or paint thinner)
Oil Change Instructions
- Start the motorcycle and bring it up to operating temperature. This is best done by taking the bike for a quick ride.
- Situate the motorcycle so that it is vertical after warming up the engine.
- Gather your materials, including safety glasses and your rubber gloves.
- Place your drain pan under the oil drain bolt.
- Remove the engine oil drain bolt to drain the oil.
- Replace the drain bolt washer with a new one and tighten the drain bolt.
- Remove the oil filter with your oil filter wrench.
- Replace the oil filter with a new one after applying oil to the new filter gasket.
- With a high-flash point solvent, clean the oil filter guard and surrounding area of any excess oil.
- Tighten the filter with your oil filter wrench.
- Pour in the 10W-40 motor oil. See our Service Information below to see how much your Ninja needs.
- Start engine, check for leaks, add oil if necessary.
Get Everything You Need In One Box
A Factory Racing Parts Oil Change Kit comes with the oil, filter, crush washer, funnel, and oil change sticker you need to change the oil on your VN1600 Vulcan.
- Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
- Capacity: 2.9L (3.1 qt) (When filter is not removed.)
- Capacity: 3.1L (3.3 qt) (When filter is removed.)
- Coolant Capacity: 0.7 gal
Oil change interval: 3,000-7,000 miles depending on riding conditions
- Oil Filter: 16097-0008
- Air Filter: 11013-1248 (Mean Streak)
- Air Filter: 11013-1305 (Nomad, Classic)
- Battery: 26012-1371
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
- 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
- 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
- 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
- 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
- 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
- 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak
- 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak
- 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak
- 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak
- 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak
DID YOU KNOW?
- The Kawasaki Vulcan Super Chief was created in 1999 by Ken Boyko, Don Emde, son of Indian legend Floyd Emde, and John Hoover of Kawasaki. The Super Chief had all the features of the regular VN1500 but designed with the classic 1940’s style lines of the Indian Chief. In order to avoid any legal disputes the name was changed to the Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter.
- The 1984 GPz900R was the first Kawasaki Ninja. It was developed and built in the US with the US market as its target and continues to be one of the best selling sportbikes in the US. The bike is famous for being Maverick's bike in the 1980s movie, Top Gun.