Toyota 4Runner Oil Change Guide
If you are planning on changing the oil in your Toyota 4Runner, we've got all of the information you need to get the job done. Below we've got instructions for your Toyota 4Runner oil change, all of the service information you'll need, fun facts, and a video to walk you through your 4Runner oil change step-by-step.
For more help, we offer motorcycle oil change kits to give you everything you need for your oil change: 6 quarts of 0W-20 synthetic oil, an oil filter, a crush washer, a funnel, and an oil change reminder sticker.
Check out the Craftsman Toyota Oil Change Kit for your Toyota 4Runner.
HOW TO VIDEO
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 10, 12, and 14mm sockets, ratchet, 3/8 extension
- Drain pan, oil filter canister drain tool (supplied with new filter)
- 64mm oil filter wrench or Toyota filter wrench (39564-10944)
- High-flash point solvent (like brake cleaner, acetone, or paint thinner),
- 0W-20 engine oil
- Oil filter
- Crush washer
Oil Change Instructions
Engine Oil and Filter Change
- After warming up the engine safely situate the vehicle so that you can access the drain bolt and oil filter housing.
- Remove the 4 bolts holding on the front skid plate and remove from vehicle, this will allow access to the oil filter canister.
- Remove the 2 bolts holding on the oil drain bolt cover and remove.
- Place the drain pan beneath the engine and use the 14mm wrench or socket to remove the drain bolt and let drain.
- Replace the drain bolt washer with a new one and tighten the drain bolt.
- Remove the oil filter housing drain cap with the 3/8 extension and then use the provided spout tool to drain the housing by pushing it up into the filter housing.
- Remove the oil filter housing using the 64 mm oil filter socket.
- Replace the oil filter along with the 2 O-rings on the filter housing.
- Reinstall and tighten the filter housing along with the housing drain cap.
- Pour in the specified amount of oil and then start the engine to circulate and build oil pressure, then shut off.
- Check for any leaks and then reinstall the skid plate and oil drain cover.
- Check engine oil level and add oil if necessary.
Maintenance Required Reset
- Switch the display to the trip meter A while the engine is running.
- Turn the “ENGINE START STOP” switch OFF.
- While pressing the trip meter reset button, set the “ENGINE START STOP” switch to IGNITION ON mode (but do not start the engine because otherwise the reset mode will be canceled).
- Continue to press and hold the button until the multi-information display indicates that the reset is complete.
Get Everything You Need In One Box
A Craftsman Oil Change Kit comes with the oil, filter, crush washer, funnel, and oil change sticker you need to change the oil on your 4Runner.
- Viscosity: SAE 0W-20
- Capacity: 6.2L (6.6 qt) (When filter is removed.)
- Coolant Capacity: 2.8 gal.
- Oil change interval: 10,000 Miles
- Air Filter: 17801-38051
- Battery Group: 34R
- Oil Filter: 04152-YZZA5
2010 Toyota 4Runner
2011 Toyota 4Runner
2012 Toyota 4Runner
2013 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Toyota 4Runner
2015 Toyota 4Runner
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2017 Toyota 4Runner
2018 Toyota 4Runner
2019 Toyota 4Runner
2020 Toyota 4Runner
2021 Toyota 4Runner
2022 Toyota 4Runner
DID YOU KNOW?
- Toyota vehicles are so reliable that eighty percent of Toyotas sold 20 years ago are still on the road today.
- Toyota is the world's leading manufacturer of hybrid vehicles with more than 1,700,000 Toyota hybrids currently on the road.