Kawaski Ninja 400 Oil Change Guide
If you are planning on changing the oil in your Kawasaki Ninja 400, we've got all of the information you need to get the job done. Below we've got instructions for your Kawasaki Ninja oil change, all of the service information you'll need, fun facts, and a video to walk you through your Ninja oil change step-by-step.
For more help, we offer motorcycle oil change kits to give you everything you need for your oil change: 4 quarts of 10W-40 synthetic oil, an oil filter, a crush washer, a funnel, and an oil change reminder sticker.
Check out the Craftsman Kawasaki Ninja Oil Change Kit for your Ninja 400.
HOW TO VIDEO
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 10W-40 engine oil
- Oil filter
- Crush washer
- 17mm wrench or socket and ratchet
- Drain pan
- 65mm oil filter wrench (57001-1249)
- High-flash solvent (like brake cleaner, acetone, or paint thinner)
Oil Change Instructions
- Start the motorcycle and bring it up to operating temperature. This is best done by taking the bike for a quick ride.
- Situate the motorcycle so that it is vertical after warming up the engine.
- Gather your materials, including safety glasses and your rubber gloves.
- Place your drain pan under the oil drain bolt.
- Remove the engine oil drain bolt to drain the oil.
- Replace the drain bolt washer with a new one and tighten the drain bolt.
- Remove the oil filter with your oil filter wrench.
- Replace the oil filter with a new one after applying oil to the new filter gasket.
- With a high-flash point solvent, clean the oil filter guard and surrounding area of any excess oil.
- Tighten the filter with your oil filter wrench.
- Pour in the 10W-40 motor oil. See our Service Information below to see how much your Ninja needs.
Get Everything You Need In One Box
A Craftsman Oil Change Kit comes with the oil, filter, crush washer, funnel, and oil change sticker you need to change the oil on your Ninja 400.
- Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
- Capacity: 1.6L (1.7qt) (When filter is not removed.)
- 2.0L (2.1 qt) (When filter is removed.)
- Coolant Capacity: 0.4 gal.
- Oil change interval: 3,000-7,000 miles depending on riding conditions
- Air Filter: 11013-0767
- Oil Filter: 16097-0008
- Battery: 26012-0849
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400/ABS
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 400/ABS
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400/ABS
2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400/ABS
DID YOU KNOW?
- The 1984 GPz900R was the first Kawasaki Ninja. It was developed and built in the US with the US market as its target and continues to be one of the best selling sportbikes in the US. The bike is famous for being Maverick’s bike in the 1980s movie Top Gun.
- The paint that is used in the Ninja H2 and H2R contains pure silver as an ingredient and requires the precision of a robot to apply it. The final layer involves a chemical reaction that leaves no chance for any corrections.